Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Party Recap

Well, I survived the two parties in 10 days. And, for posterity, I thought I'd note what I did in case I ever need to coordinate things like this again.

The first party was a bridal shower fiesta. The wedding colors are orange, yellow and teal, so we decorated appropriately:















I found the directions to make these here.


In the same issue of Martha Stewart Living, she had these cute fruit cups that were just delicious!
















My friend did the food, which consisted of a do-it-yourself shrimp fajita bar, guacamole, chips and salsa, and homemade ice cream sandwiches for dessert. All in all, a great event!

Then, I co-hosted a retirement party for my boss' boss on Thursday evening at a local restaurant. Since the majority of the work was done by the hotel, I offered to do the guest book and make favors.

The guest book was actually a series of 4x6 notecards (idea here). They were bordered in the party colors and decorated with a photo from the honoree's career. We strung them up on a simple clothesline and pinned them so everyone could see the funny photos, and then the next day I put them all into an album for her to keep.














For favors, we brainstormed words that defined the retiree's career, and I made up a simple design on the computer to attach simple candy boxes that each hold 3 Hershey Nuggets. I learned how to make the box portion of these favors at a stamp convention in Las Vegas last year.


















To make the boxes, I cut my cardstock into 2 1/4 by 6 inch rectangles, then scored them lengthwise at 1 3/8 inches. Since I was making 60 of them, I found that the easiest way to do this was to masking tape where the cardstock should line up.
















This will leave you with two halves, the 1 3/8 inch half and the 7/8 inch half. Then, I scored four lines going the short way (the 1 3/8 is higher in this photo):










Cut triangles out from the 7/8 inch half (to allow the box to fold up more neatly).










Then crease all the folds and assemble! I usually attach the sides before assembling the bottom.

After a couple of hours, you'll end up with this:















A whole line-up of favor boxes!

No comments: