Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gift Card Holders














With the end of the school year comes the need for end-of-school-year gifts. My go-to graduation/special occasion gift for people ages 10-20 is iTunes gift cards, so I spent a couple of days making up gift card holders for everyone all at once.

To get the process started, I did a search in Google Reader for gift card holders, and came across this one by Tori Wild that's just darling. I made a tester one using the template she provided, but I really wanted horizontal ones, so I adapted her idea and made my own.















For my gift card holder, I cut a solid piece of cardstock (in this case, black) to 12inches by 2.75 inches. Then, I took my long strip and scored it at 4 inches and just under 8 inches to form the base of my holder. To make a pocket, I cut the right panel on the diagonal from the fold.












To decorate it, I cut two patterned paper panels (red polka dots in the above photos), each 3.75 inches by 2.5 inches and attached one to the front and one to the middle of the inside (behind the diagonally cut piece.) Once the patterned paper was attached, I used a skinny piece of red line tape at the bottom to create the pocket.

To create the belly band to hold the whole thing closed, I cut a 1 inch by 9 inch green strip of cardstock and wrapped it around the holder, overlapping it at the front. I stamped my image and layered it on more cardstock before adhering the whole panel to the green strip (to hide the seam).

These are a cinch to make, and it was fun to make up several graduation ones, all coordinated with the graduates' school colors.

No comments: